While my teacher was presenting the itinerary we need to do for this portfolio project, I started to brainstorm a couple of ideas I could do for my opening. I was stuck in between doing a drama, romance, or adventure opening. As for the drama, it’s not limited at all and I started to realize that all my ideas were coming from that genre. Im super excited to explore more on this since I've never done anything like this before.
-Films like the Fault in Our Stars shaped the way I think about emotional storytelling with film openings.
| The Fault in Our Stars [Photograph]. (2014). Showtimes.com. https://www.showtimes.com/movies/the-fault-in-our-stars-80946/photos/1 |
As I begin to research more on this, my main goal which sounds easy, but hard, is to focus on creating the film opening without telling an entire story and instead be effective. Being two minutes, I want to correctly establish tone, introduce the character(s), and accurately hint key themes throughout the extract. From a nearpod presentation I did a while ago, I learned that openings rely mainly on factors like sound, cinematography, and pacing to engage the audience more sparingly. Furthermore, I intend to learn and know more about how to hook the audience in a short period of time.
One challenge I want to overcome during the duration of creating this, I desire to balance creativity with the restrictions of the opening. With the time limit, I intentionally want to be creative as I can be for the audience to understand what I am trying to convey in 2 minutes. This realization has already made me think more deeply and critically about the camera angles, sound design, and the shot duration.
Overall, transitioning into this portfolio project has aided me to realize the importance and thoughtfulness of preparation and the heavy research I need to produce in media production. Moving forward, the direction I want to go in is searching the genres, drama and romance, in greater depth, analyzing high scoring film openings, and begin to plan my storyboard and notes. This process allows me to integrate my ideas before I rush into producing; helping ensure that my final opening is both engaging and successful.
No comments:
Post a Comment